Owens Group UK wins Skills Academy Wales Employer of the Year Award
Owens Group provides Transport, Warehousing and Distribution services across the UK and currently employs over 1,000 people. Operating a fleet of 400 trucks, 200 vans and 850 trailers.
In 2021, as part of an ongoing effort to address the nationwide truck driver shortage, Owens Group, in collaboration with LRC Training Logistics, expanded their apprenticeship opportunities to include the Foundation Apprenticeship in Driving Goods Vehicles. They advertised for Driving Goods Vehicles apprentices with the intention of developing them into LGV drivers. They received a huge response to their advert and nine selected individuals were signed up in October, 2021.
Following the successful implementation of the Apprenticeship Programme, where 100% of the nine apprentices achieved
their Category C+E LGV entitlement, Owens Group moved forwards in partnership with LRC Training Logistics and took on Logistics Operations and Warehousing & Storage apprentices.
Additionally, in order to address the driver shortage by making the job more attractive, Owens Group has:
– Raised drivers wages by over 40%
– Improved the fleet for driver comfort to include a fridge and microwave as standard
– Enhanced and modern welfare facilities across their sites
– Upgraded communal leisure facilities across their sites, including games room, etc.
– Put in place employee health screening measures
– Introduced an Employee Assistance programme
– Introduced a counselling service and have a Mental Health First Aider at all locations
– Provide a death in service benefit
– Established an Employee Discount Scheme, offering financial, retail and leisure discounts
In total, since 2021, Owens Group, in partnership with LRC Training Logistics have recruited 19 apprentices, retaining the vast majority of these as valued associates when they qualified.